filesystems

Avtar Gill av_gill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 15 18:43:19 UTC 2004

David J Patrick wrote:

> Do you use really large files ? (as SGI designed xfs to do ?

I use XFS on mail servers which house Cyrus IMAP mail stores consisting
of small files and on file servers which store large surveillance video
data. In both scenarios I've been satisified with XFS's performance and
stability. I don't have specific benchmarks but XFS definetly doesn't
slow down to a grinding halt if used for storing smaller files =P

>> Not so much with Reiser
>
> breakage ?

In my personal experience I've noticed that XFS recovers more
gracefully in scenarios where computers have been shut down abruptly.
Reiser on the other hand, on my test server had to be appeased using
reiserfsck and in the end I still ended up losing some files. I'm not
saying that this will happen in every case where Reiserfs is used, it
happened to me and I haven't regretted using XFS since then.

> OK, fast & stable; xfs ?

Definetly.

> soon (maybe) to be reiser4 ?

Probably not that soon.

> ? windoze accessible ?

I can't comment on that too much. You might have better luck if
you refer to this..
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Filesystems-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.5

Cheers,
Avtar Gill