X.org X-terms

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 15 16:00:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:14:49 -0400
Noah John Gellner disseminated the following:

> I recently installed X.org. I noticed strange behaviour with the
> x-terms. I am using pekwm. In a given desktop When I open more than one
> xterm (or aterm) the new terms appear as 'tabs' of the first xterm. I do
> not know how to control this behaviour and I do not know how to navigate
> the 'tabs'.
>
> Any ideas?

Looks like the terms are configured to automatically group. There is a config
file 'autoproperties' which controls this behaviour. X.org may be giving all the
terms the same name, and therefore they are all grouped.

You may be able to get around this by running a term you do *not* want grouped
with a different 'name'. Different terms have different ways of doing this, but
for Eterm you use -T or -n to set the instance name, IIRC. See 'man aterm' or
'man xterm' for the equivalent.

You can also configure the keys which move between grouped windows in the 'keys'
file, for example:

        KeyPress = "Mod1 n"       { Actions = "NextInFrame" }

or, as I have it set in my 'mouse' config file (Frame section):

	ButtonRelease = "4" { Actions = "NextInFrame" }
	ButtonRelease = "5" { Actions = "PrevInFrame" }

which then allows you to mousewheel through grouped windows.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046