Fedora Woes

Paul Mora paulmora-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 15 03:42:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 20:23, Noah John Gellner wrote:
> I have been so unhappy with my experience with Fedora so far. I am really looking
> forward to switching after my exams are finished.
>
> My latest problem is that I want to autostart programs when I log in to an
> X session. You would think it is easy. However, Redhat's hacked scripts don't
> let you add your own entries to .xinitrc. However, Redhat has also appeared to have
> removed the Startup section from the gnome menu.

I don't have a Fedora system to verify this on, but don't you use the
"Session Manager" to autostart programs in GNOME?

Red Hat Menu -> Preferences -> More Preferences -> Session Manager

Sure you can hack .xinitrc and .Xclients if you wish, but there is a
nicer way to do it.

> I am no computer whiz, but I am not a total newbie either. I can't believe that
> I spent the last hour trying to figure how how to autostart my favorite apps.
> The worst part is that I haven't figured it out yet. Instead I have given up.

Ah... don't give up.  Take a break, go for a walk, clear the mind, then
tackle the problem again.  Also, try googling for "gnome linux
autostart".

We've all been there.  We know how frustrating this stuff can be.

> Blast you Redhat

'nuff said.

pm

--