apt problems

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 14 17:05:55 UTC 2004

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 08:22:34AM -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote:
>

>>dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
>>

>NO!!!
>
>dpkg -r --force-depends xlibs
>apt-get -f install

Taking Lennarts' dire warning, and seemingly cautionary approach to
heart, I have executed the dpkg -r and apt-get -f commands  suggested.
Unfortunately, 40+ packages complained of "Depends: xlibs (> 4.1.0) but
it is not going to be installed" and I find myself in the same place,
with a few more things broken. Do you suppose this is what is meant by
"unstable" ?
And now to the tactic put forth by Fraser and Tim ? Even though Lennart
warns of incurable apt-guk ?

Hey, is this fixable ? Or is it time for a new distro ? Something
debian-based ? Ark 1.0rc11 ?
Or re-install with pure debian nothing-newer-than-testing, via Bonzai or
the debian installer floppies.
I just don't know anymore.
If I can't mend this tattered web of dependancies I gotta do something !
"It just works" seems long ago and far away.
(shuffles off, hands in pockets, leaving a cloud of dust ;-)
djp