Storage on Floppy

Sergey Kuznetsov tlug-9a/WvBvX2Qpg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 14 04:33:38 UTC 2004

Hi John,

> On Tuesday 13 April 2004 02:56 pm, Sergey Kuznetsov wrote:
>
> > mount -t vfat -o sync,dirsync /dev/sda /mnt/flash
> >
> > works for me. In this case you don't need to sync data, it always will
be
> > synced.
> Reading the man mount page tells me that sync only works for ext2,ext3 and
> ufs.
> If I mount my floppy, as suggest above, with
> "mount -t vfat -o sync,dirsync /dev/sda /mnt/floppy"
> then copying long files will spin my floppy forever. The only way to stop
it
> is by taking the floppy disk out of the drive. Inserting it again and
using a
> filemanager I can see that only the first two files were recorded. The
second
> one only partially.

    I tested it with my USB key. It have a LED, who blinks when write
operation performs.
I saw how it works, with -o sync, dirsync and without it. And I tested it
with small
file.
    The test was:
    I made hotplug USB mount/unmount script without -o sync,dirsync, and
when I
inserted key into slot, right after mount I copied small file to that USB
key (LED didn't flash),
and right after that I plugged out my USB key. When I plugged in the key,
and mounted it, I found
that file has disapperared. Then I modified my script to have -o
sync,dirsync for mount, and
repeated the experiment. I started copy proccess the LED started to blink,
when it finished to blink,
I plugged out the key again, and plugged in + mount, the file was there.

It means what "-o sync,dirsync" flags works.

PS: If someone needs that USB hotplug script - just let me know.

All the Best!
Serge.