the problem with Linux?

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 13 14:17:31 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 17:08:45 -0400
Fraser Campbell <fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I've resisted this until now but since the distro questions have come up
> elsewhere in the thread what the heck ...
>
> I am curious to find out why people use Fedora.  Have those using Fedora ever
> tried Debian, what was the deciding factor in going the Fedora route?  I am
> genuinely curious about this issue, since I cannot come up with any reasons
> to choose Fedora personally.

Fraser,

   I have just left my Red Hat 8 laptop over at my mother's place.  Hopefully, she will like it better than the various Windows 95/98 machines she has had access to (i.e. hopefully it will work :)

   If everything works out, I will be looking for a way to build a user friendly linux desktop.  I figure that my primary requirement is for a good manual.  There is a Red Hat Linux Fedora for Dummies out there.  I figure I can solve all the technical problems.

   I have used Slackware in the past, and I was happy with it.  It seems to be getting harder to find Linux distributions in the regular stores.  Selecting something I can find on the bookshelves at Chapters seems to me to be a good idea.

   I have spent around eight years running Linux.  Can anyone suggest good beginner's literature?

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard-42qnO8ePF9cV+D8aMU/kSg at public.gmane.org