worst Linux moment

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 12 15:13:57 UTC 2004

I was reading this and I again thought about how I want to build a set
of apps to offer network services to mixed clients. EB talked about how
everything was server-side and under MS clients I know that I can do
that (and have) with Samba via roaming profiles and such. I am still at
a bit of a loss though about how I can/should go about duplicating the
same thing for Linux clients and, ideally, for mixed clients.

I have been trying over and over to get my head around OpenLDAP in the
hopes of using it for central authentication of all clients and then
mounting a user's home off on NFS mounts but I just can't seem to figure
out how to do despite reading how-tos. I've got a much better
understanding of LDAP and NFS then I used to but I can't seem to pull it
all together to make it happen.

I have torn apart and am about to rebuild by test network yet again and
I am hoping that some people here who have actually implemented
centralized networking could let me know what they use and, if possible,
how.

Thanks! (I don't want to be an admin you guys read about after making
some momentus flub!)

Madison