kdm & gdm problems (sad story gets longer)

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 12 04:39:07 UTC 2004

So, I says to myself, surely this is an older bent version of kdm.
apt-get to the rescue, right ?

root-FHL3x92oaS0 at public.gmane.org:/mnt/hda8/djp# apt-get install kdm
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  libarts1-mpeglib: Depends: libxv1 but it is not going to be installed
  libarts1-xine: Depends: libxv1 but it is not going to be installed
  mpeglib: Depends: libxv1 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or speci
olution).
root-FHL3x92oaS0 at public.gmane.org:/mnt/hda8/djp# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  libxv1
  libxv1
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 837 not upgraded.
237 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/131kB of archives.
After unpacking 295kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 172449 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libxv1 (from .../libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--
):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0', which is also in packa
bs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb

should I dive in and move/delete/rename /usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0 ?
should I apt-get upgrade ? (had screwd up eveything, in the past)
reinstall ?
start looking for that ol' Win98SE disk ? (kidding)

djp