Spam fighting tools

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 11 03:29:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > The 5xx is part of the SMTP protocol itself.  So it's seen on the guilty
> > machine that's actually trying to send the mail, not the innocent one
> > named on the envelope etc...
>
> I realized the rejection is at the smtp protocol level.  That's fine if the
> spam is being sent direct to the recipients smtp server (using spam malware
> typically) but when a relay is involved (as one often is) I'd expect a bounce
> to be generated.

My impression is that exploiting relay machines is much less popular than
it used to be, because it's so easy to just operate from zombie machines
instead, giving more control.  But I could be wrong; it's not something
I've really kept track of.

Yes, an incautious relay getting a 5xx error is probably going to send a
bounce to the envelope sender.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org