TLUG Talk April 13 Update

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 10 05:05:25 UTC 2004

Date:  April 13, 2004
Time: 7:30pm
Location: Galbraith Building, U of T

For directions, see http://oracle.osm.utoronto.ca/map/

Room: GB244

Speaker: Chris F.A. Johnson

Topic: Advanced shell scripting: network sockets and other techniques

than 2,000 150K e-mails a day. Downloading them from the POP3 server was
slowing my computer to a crawl.

The solution is a shell script which connects to the server, downloads the
headers and the first few lines of each message, deletes those I didn't
want, and downloads the rest.

The presentation will look at:

	writing to and reading from network sockets
	notification when mail is on the server
	viewing headers
	deleting messages
	retrieving messages

and will cover many tips and tricks for shell programming.