worst Linux moment

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 9 17:56:19 UTC 2004

Mine was just recently. I was setting up Samba and wanted to move the
user's home directories to the new hard drive so I issued the move home
directory while I was logged in as a regular user. It moved almost every
file in my folder (a LOT of work stuff), decided that it couldn't move
all of them, and deleted the destination folder without first restoring
the old directory. I lost everything. Grrr!!

That was just bad coding, in my mind. How hard would it have been to see
if a user was logged in an issue an error or at the very least leave the
files where they were and issue an error or return the files to their
source directory instead of just deleting them and dieing? I love Linux,
it is my job and passion, but damn it was tried that day!

Madison