deleting CVS administrative directories recursively

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 9 15:18:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 11:17:12AM -0400, William O'Higgins wrote:
> I used to use CVS, and I am migrating to subversion.  I don't have my
> CVS respository (long story), and so the CVS directories all over the
> place are of little use to me.  I would like to remove them all, but I'm
> not sure how.
>
> Should I do a find piped to a rm, or is there a better way?  I am
> uncertain of the best way to do this, and I'd rather not recursively
> deleted things I actually want, you know?  Thanks.

You mean find piped to xargs which runs rm?

find . -type d -name CVS | xargs rm -Rf

You could also get find to invoke rm yourself, but this version
with xargs would probably actually be faster, as it would fork
one extra xargs, but fork far, far fewer copies of rm (xargs will
fill the maximum commandline size with parameters).

--
taa

   It is better to copulate than never.
      - Robert A. Heinlein