Microsoft ad looks like "news"

Phillip Mills pmills-5bG9SNWDbRX3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 9 11:35:37 UTC 2004

On Thursday, April 8, 2004, at 08:34 PM, Taavi Burns wrote:

> Oh, this should be interesting.  Wait.  What's this...the header on
> this page is different.  It says, "This page presented by Microsoft."

I thought that was interesting, in that it didn't actually say that it
was an Ad anywhere..."presented by" is sufficiently ambiguous to make
people possibly assume it's something less biased.  A somewhat subtle
touch was that they printed it in their "Advertising" font.  Looks to
me as if the Globe was helping them be as deceiving as possible while
still maintaining some deniability.

It would be fun to know who approached who about the ad space.  ("We're
going to run a few pages of Linux stories...how much will you pay for
the inclusion of a FUD-based rebuttal?")

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714