the problem with Linux?

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 9 00:38:16 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:40:22PM -0400, Anton Markov wrote:
> - - Sun JDK1.4
> - - Quake3 Arena Demo
> - - UT2004 Demo (which doesn't work because of lack of "DXTC/S3TC"
> compressed texture support. There is some CVS patch work-around, but I
> am too lazy.)
>
> Reason: all these are proprietary/can't be packaged. However, they all
> come with good commercial installers.

Gentoo at least has ebuilds for programs such as these.  You may be
required to download or purchase the appropriate data on your own (due
to EULA restrictions), but once the data are available, the ebuild
will install it for you just as any other package.  This should be
entirely possible to do with pre- and post-install scripts with
RPM and DEB packages, too, I imagine.  I just don't know if anyone's
ever done it outside the scope of a ports tree (i.e. Gentoo, BSD).

--
taa

   If the universe has any purpose more important than topping
   a woman you love and making a baby with her hearty help,
   I've never heard of it.
      - Robert A. Heinlein
/*eof*/