Fortune in Squirrelmail

Kareem Shehata kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 8 13:05:25 UTC 2004

Noah John Gellner wrote:

>I would like to activate the fortune plug-in for Squirrelmail (sm).
>However, after setting sm up to use fortune I get a error
>"/usr/games/fortune" not found. I did ln -s /usr/bin/fortune
>/usr/games/fortune, and restarted sm, but still have the problem. Any
>ideas?

Dumb things I would check:

1)  Does /usr/bin/fortune exist?  What permissions does it have?

2)  Switch to the www-data user (or whichever user Apache is running as)
and run /usr/games/fortune

Finally, it's possible that Apache/PHP is configured such that scripts
can only access executables in some folders (e.g. /usr/bin/cgi-bin/*).
You may have to move or make a symlink there for it to work.

Good luck!

Kareem