the problem with Linux?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 8 04:25:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Anton Markov wrote:

> - Better OS installers: While commercial Linux distributions already
> have X-based graphical installers, it would be nice to have one for

Not X-based but have you tried aptitude?  I use apt-get but I've fired up
aptitude a couple of times and it looks decent.  Aptitude is ncurses
based.

> Debian. That would make Debian trully the best distribution out there,
> because once past the installation it is a breaze to use. Especially,
> the installer must have an "express", "standard", and "custom" options.

It kind of has this now:

neither: install all packages using apt after boot (express) [1]
tasksel: sets of packages with sane titles (standard)
dselect: insane number of packages (custom) [2]

I know this is not what you meant though :)

[1] This is how I install nearly all Debian boxes.
[2] Don't use this kids.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway at uqconnect.net