the problem with Linux?

Moniz Family john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 8 00:06:38 UTC 2004

Noah John Gellner wrote:

>I agree with this statement in general, but find that when I have
>problems this issue is that I can't find the file to edit. For example:
>* Squirrelmail gives me an error about not being able to find
>/usr/games/fortune, but it is there and I can execute it from the
>command line? What is it looking for. There is probably some file that
>needs to be edited but I have no idea which one and can't find anything
>about it on the web
>* realplayer hijacked by flash settings and now I can't open *.swf files
>in mozilla. There is clearly some file that needs to be edited but it
>isn't /etc/mime-types. I have no idea what it is
>* switchdesk relies on some file for its desktop selections. I don't
>know what it is and end up having to edit the destination file by hand -
>no problem except that it is a clumsy workaround.
>
>There are more issues, but like the ones above none are not deal
>breakers, but they might be if I wasn't into fooling around with my
>machine.
>
>In my experience the problem with Linux is that these files are located
>all over the place, and are not always obvious or even close to obvious.
>The result is that if you are adding and removing applications there are
>is a constant requirement for hacks and work arounds. On response is
>that users shouldn't be constantly adding and subtracting applications,
>but in my opinion that is a pretty weak solution. Given that users will
>add and remove applications there process should be possible.

I'm just going through something similar. I wanted to install
"listener", which requires the libsndfile libraries, which I installed
(compiled) in /usr/local/lib. Then I compiled listener from
/usr/local/listener-0.4 directory. When I run listener, it can't find a
library that was installed from the libsndfile libraries. The library
exists and I tried locating it in several places, but it always says it
doesn't exist. I have run into this various times doing other compiles
and it definitely is a weakness of linux for a regular user. As long as
I can rpm, I'm OK, but tar balls are a pain. And not every program is
packaged.