file locations (was:the problem with Linux?)

gabriel danstemporaryaccount-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 7 23:23:14 UTC 2004

On April 7, 2004 04:46 pm, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> All configuration goes in /etc, preferably in /etc/packagename/,
> variable data maintained or used by the app in /var/lib/packagename
> or /var/cache/packagename (depending on if it would be auto regenerated
> or needs to be created manually, cache data is generally not important
> to backup but could be annoying to loose on a reboot so it is kept).
> Static data goes in /usr/share/package, binaries in /usr/lib, libraries
> in /usr/lib (except system essential stuff needed for boot which does
> not go in /usr since /usr might be a seperate filesystem).
> Documentation is in /usr/share/doc/packagename/.  There is sometimes a
> README.Debian telling you any small necesary steps needed to make the
> package do anything useful, although most packages work after being
> installed with no changes needed.  It can also contain things that are
> unique or different about the debian package of the program.

where does kde go in debian?  'cause everything you mentioned is the same on
my box (gentoo) but kde is stored in /usr/kde and all it's files are under
there (/usr/kde/share/ etc.)  seems kinda dumb to me.  same goes with
X11: /usr/X11R6/

--
where there is much light there is also much shadow.
	- goethe