the problem with Linux?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 7 02:33:11 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 19:09, Noah John Gellner wrote:

> A pal recently sent me the following link which points to a rant about
> setting up CUPS. http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html

I read the rant a few days ago and all along I was thinking why is he picking
on CUPS when the issues are obviously Fedora issues.  In his followup he
notes that many people pointed that out but he didn't care ... fair enough.
I've found cups very easy to setup, it's probably not Grandma friendly yet
but it's close.

> I am curious to hear people's opinions about the usability issue. In my
> mind it is the biggest barrier that Linux faces with respect to desktop
> success. I think that the software core is ready, but these details are
> presently fatal.

He makes some good points.  I remember trying to talk someone through
configuring network interfaces using Redhat's GUI tools (probably RH8). The
funniest thing was the guy on the phone telling me how great all these new
GUI configuration tools were in Redhat, this despite the fact that they
didn't work!!!