the problem with Linux?

Noah John Gellner noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 6 23:09:32 UTC 2004

A pal recently sent me the following link which points to a rant about
setting up CUPS. http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html

I recently installed Fedora Core 1 and had to go through a minor battle
to get CUPS to work with my Netgear printserver. Fedora requires that a
queue be specified, the printserver doesn't use a queue. Furthermore,
the auto print tool sets up the wrong driver which limits the resolution
to 600 dpi instead of 1200.

I am curious to hear people's opinions about the usability issue. In my
mind it is the biggest barrier that Linux faces with respect to desktop
success. I think that the software core is ready, but these details are
presently fatal.

Noah

--
Powerful, flexible, customizable - what more can you ask for?