recommendations for a DVD burner

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 6 00:29:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 11:11:01AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> That problem is just with LG CD-ROM drives (not *-writers) and even then
> there is a firmware update.
>
> LG implemented a firmware write command, but chose the ATAPI
> buffer-flush command to encode it -- after all, who would flush a
> write buffer on a read-only device?  Smart thinking.  I believe this
> actually violates the ATAPI spec.
>
> If you kill your CD-ROM, it is too late to apply the firmware update.
> If you have an LG CD-ROM, go to their website to get an update
> before you get bitten.  Should be somewhere in http://ca.lgservice.com/
> (a .jsp hell).

There is a recovery method on their website involving some non standard
jumper setting and a dos util for flashing to the drive in dumb receive
anything on the ide bus mode as far as I can understand it.

> I have an LG DVD writer (4x, +/-) but I don't have enough experience
> to judge it or compare it.  If you look, you can find the 8x version
> for ~$130 -- cheap enough that I will probably never again buy a
> CD-writer.

That's about what I paid for my plextor premium cd writer 3 months ago.
I won't trade. :)

> If I remember correctly, the firmware update is distributed in a form
> that requires MS Windows to unpack it, then DOS to install it.  The
> DOS part I accept, but the MS Windows requirement is gratuitous.
>
> The retail version comes bundled with MS Windows software; I don't
> know about the OEM package.  The software is not very mainstream.  I'm
> not sure if it is any good.

No idea either.

Lennart Sorensen