Computing and Politics

Jim W Lai jwtlai-Xhj3G7Rj6JI at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 5 04:23:33 UTC 2004

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Jim W Lai <jwtlai-Xhj3G7Rj6JI at public.gmane.org>
>
> | I ran across this when searching for stuff on "Red Flag Linux":
> | http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040222/news_mz1b22china.html
>
> Do you trust an article that claims VHS was a European standard?  VHS was
> developed by JVC (Japanese Victor Corporation), based (I've been told) on
> Sony work that predated Beta.

I'd chalk it up to European ethnocentrism, no different than saying VHS
is an American standard because it's dominant in the US consumer market.
And ignorance of the VHS/Beta war.  I'd also wager the piece was lifted
from a European source.

The points regarding China still remain valid IMO.  They're not into
open source for altruistic reasons.  They seek to containing outflows
of capital, and relying on open and homegrown IP is part of that effort.

Jim