Proposal - creating a panel for judging about legal issues

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 1 22:25:48 UTC 2004

> There are certainly many issues going on in the background. For
> instance, we may imagine, someone from this list did ask somebody else
> on this list to work for her from home on programming. But later on
> she forget to pay for his work. Should we both go to official
> institutions in that case? Would not it be better to explain and
> possibly solve the problems first within our own community? To accept
> (or not) a judgement of a group of people who did volunteer to be
> involved in such a work on judging? Wouldnt both care for their own
> reputation?

I Am Not A Lawyer, and the notion of trying to set up a "judicial
system" within the confines of TLUG would worry me _enormously_.

TLUG is not (and cannot be) responsible for the actions of its members,
particularly when "membership" is fairly loosely defined.

The only reason why it _might_ make sense to have some sort of
"ombudsman group" or "pseudo-judiciary" or a "TLUG Star Chamber" ;-)
would be if there was a high frequency of these sorts of disputes, and
hence both some internal competency in dealing with such disputes, and
some measurable value in keeping them from getting to the traditional
legal system.

"We may imagine" that people might contract to do work, and then not
live up to the contract.  It doesn't make sense to start a
"pseudo-judiciary" when that is merely an _imagined_ situation.  It
would only make sense if this was in fact happening quite frequently.

And were that the case, what would make even more sense would be to
either informally "shun" those that were guilty of such activity, or to
more formally drop such members from the membership rolls.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "cbbrowne.com")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lisp.html