Large File Upload

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 1 14:50:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 06:52:10PM -0500, Kerry Panchoo wrote:
> One of my applications involve moving some large file around. I'm
> looking for a solution where i can upload large files, typically around
> 500MB, the max size should be around 2GB. I'm looking for a web
> interface that would allow you to upload a file of that size to a server
> where it (the interface) resides.

Well PHP file upload handling unfortunately does require that it go into
ram first until the entire file is received.  Probably a BAD idea.

Have a look at the WebDAV upload system (there is a module for apache)
which should probably allow you to do what you want, although it does
require writing a small client to do the upload (you can't jsut do it
with a form and a standard browser).  There are plenty of libraries
around for perl and such that could allow for a very simple client to be
written to do the upload for you using webdav.

Lennart Sorensen