list etiquette

talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org talexb-SBdzbUvMQDunS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 1 13:23:14 UTC 2004

Hi Mel,

The most basic rules about list etiquette that I can think of are 1) you
should only send stuff that you think the whole list will be interested in
and 2) related to that, keep it on topic.

To state it plainly, that means don't post "Thanks!" or "Me, too!" posts
to the list. I'm on a couple of lists, and because my E-Mail address is
5-6 years old it is on several spammers lists, so I typically have to wade
through 50-100 E-Mails in a day. Anything that lowers the signal to noise
ratio is an irritant.

Thanks to an individual are no doubt greatly appreciated by the individual
(I can't tell you how many times my butt has been saved by something I
read on a list -- whether or not I started the discussion thread) but they
don't contain much information for the rest of us.

However (you knew there was going to eb a however, right?) a thank you
sent to the list is appropriate when it summarizes the discussion, perhaps
describing the original question, the various issues raised and the
solutions proposed, and finally describes your chosen approach .. and then
thanks the contributors for their assistance.

Alex

ps And, of course, there's Godwin's Law which states that mention of the
name of Germany's leader during WWII immediately ends the thread. And I've
heard similar corollaries for Iraq's ex-leader and the current U.S.
President.