RealPlayer 8

Mel Seder melseder-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 1 05:23:31 UTC 2004

--- Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 03:29:53PM -0800, Mel Seder wrote
> > I'm using RedHat Fedora CORE 1 and the other day I downloaded the
> RPM
> > for Real Player 8 and when I went to install it I was told that it
> was
> > already installed.  I didn't find a .realplayer directory in root
> or in
> > ~.
> >
> > I can't see an icon for it in the menu.  What is the name of the
> file I
> > should execute?
>
>   You know the saying about "give a man a fish versus teaching him
> how
> to fish".

:-)

Thanks for the tutorial I was always curious how find worked but never
got around to doing a "mand find".

 "man find" is your friend.  "find / -iname filename* > x"
> does a case-insensitive search through your entire system for the
> wildcarded filename* and spit the results out to file x.  You may
> prefer
> to do the search as root, because that eliminates error messages
> about
> acces-denied.  Here's the search, and it's results on my non-standard
> layout.
>
> [23:43:10][/root] find / -iname realplay*
> /usr/share/mc/templates/realplayer.desktop

>   In my case, it's "/misc/opt/RealPlayer8/realplay". /misc/opt is
> symlinked as /opt, so the path /opt/RealPlayer8/realplay will also
> work,
> and it looks more normal.  Your setup will probably be different from
> mine, but "find / -iname realplay*" should dig it up for you.

[root-lwfWIikfpTg at public.gmane.org mel]# find / -iname fstab
/etc/fstab

[root-lwfWIikfpTg at public.gmane.org mel]# find / -iname fstab*
find: paths must precede expression
Usage: find [path...] [expression]
[root-lwfWIikfpTg at public.gmane.org mel]#

I was horsing around with the find command and the "find / -name
fstab*" seemed to blow up but the fist find worked fine.  Any idea what
went wrong?

=====
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good. -Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)