gaim: protocol not supported

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 23 11:39:20 UTC 2003

Jing Su wrote:

> Did you upgrade to the .71 release?

I'm haviong trouble even upgrading to the .59* release - failed dependency:

[root at p166 chris]# rpm -U /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/gaim*
error: failed dependencies:
 libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)   is needed by gaim-0.59.1-2

So, I went to rpmfid.net and downloaded  glibc-2.3.2-98.i686.rpm and istalled
that
and now I get,

[root at p166 chris]# rpm -i /home/chris/glib*
error: failed dependencies:
 glibc-common = 2.3.2-98 is needed by glibc-2.3.2-98
 libgcc   is needed by glibc-2.3.2-98
 glibc > 2.2.5 conflicts with glibc-common-2.2.5-34

I don't mind chasing these dependencies oe-by-one if I thought at the end of
it I
]would still have a workable rh 7.3 (let alone a workable/updated gaim). But
is
this looking as if the newer gaims need a newer OS to run in?

> I think it's a bug in that release.

I don't know aboput a bug - she's been happily usig it for months - I see
someone else
has posted that 15-Oct is when MS pulled support for other protocols. that is
precisely
when gaim stopped working for my daughter.

> I was unable to get online with that one as well.  I'm running the .67 and
> I'm still online on gaim right now, no problem.

OK, .59 is the newest versio I have on a redhat (8.0) CD - I'm running 7.3 as

this is a older PC, but I have the 8.0 CDs if I need access to ewer apps.
But,
again, it looks as if I'll be endlessly chasing dependencies. I if I'm
actually
replacing older libraries because of conflicts, how may times does one do
that
before you have an older PC that is trying to ru ewer libraries (not to
mention
on the whatever the kernel is in 7.3)?

I would just upgrade to 8.0 but I know that release runs too sluggishly on
this
system - I had it on and had to remove it.

> Also, M$ has ominously threatened to kick off all non-MSN .NET clients,
> but as far as I can tell, hasn't made good on the threat yet.

Looks like they did just two days ago...

Chris