Using EXT3 to install Win32 software

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 19:53:09 UTC 2003

> I network mapped drive Z:  which is a samba 2.28a share of a large EXT3
> partition.
> I would like to install some Win32 software, say Office2002 onto drive
> Z..

Good luck. A lot of the files that the M$ apps need to run won't install.
You're trying to replace backoffice with samba2. It won't work, there is
no active directory support in that version. Try samba3 (still in beta?)

http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/networking/features/article.php/2246911

Now that you brought it up though, you have to let the rest of us know how
it works out for you and what problems you run into with it.  :)

> Will this work?
> Is there more overhead with Samba and inodes and EXT3?

No. there's less. Your network will be happier for it.

> Dont get upset cause im using some Win32 stuff,  im just trying new
> things with Linux. (RH9)

The whole point to the exercise it to be able to do what you want with
your systems. Whether it's windoh$ or linux or BSD, sun, novell or
whatever it doesn't matter as long as it works for you. Mixed networks are
common, but over time be prepared to rethink about what a network is and
the client/server vs. peer-to-peer models.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.