Instant messaging --> now what?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 16:20:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Martin C wrote:

> Yahoo has tried to block third party software from
> connecting to his network (although Gaim seems to have
> success connecting with the new protocol in the last
> version).
> M$N is going to close third party software too on
> October 15th.

These companies have always had trouble with the concept of
interoperability - ie the concept on which the entire Internet is built.
The Internet has had nothing but trouble since large greedy corporations
got involved :(

> The question is: what shall we use for IM? ICQ is an
> option, LICQ is pretty nice... Jabber? People is used

ICQ is an option but many people aren't so fond of it these days.

> to use smilies, Jabber has them?

To be honest I still prefer IRC.  The whole "Bob is now online" thing
built into todays IM s/w does nothing for me :)

> I think this sort of policies that are having IM
> giants are very bad for everyone... And that´s why I

Definately.  It stifles the interoperability that got the Internet going i
the first place.  These companies forget that the free Internet, ignored
by business for a long time, trounced all over Compuserve and AOL had to
connect to the Internet or risk its wraith (see "The September that never
ended").

> think that something Free has to arise to fill the
> holes they are going to leave...

The alternative should already exist.  I'd need to check on an MS-Windows
based jabber client but if it exists it'd be perfect.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net