Using EXT3 to install Win32 software

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 30 13:44:32 UTC 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, teddymills wrote:

> I network mapped drive Z:  which is a samba 2.28a share of a large EXT3
> partition.

If you share the data to MS-Windows using samba than the MS-Windows boxes
are never aware of what filesystem type the data is stored on.  There is
no problem exporting data via samba which is stored on an ext3fs, infact
people do it all the time.

> I would like to install some Win32 software, say Office2002 onto drive Z..
>
> Will this work?
> Is there more overhead with Samba and inodes and EXT3?

As opposed to? If you want to export the filesystem over a network the
options are limited - nfs or samba being the 2 mainstream choices although
their are alternatives.  The performance of the filesystem and samba will
have to be slower than a native, local, filesystem, but speed isn't the
reason people use network filesystems.

If you are wanting to compare ext3 to say, ntfs as a local filesystem
under Linux, ext3 will come out on top easily as it is a native
performance optimised filesystem while the ntfs support is meant for
reading files from time to time.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net