/dev/mixer

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 26 23:09:17 UTC 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:52:10 -0400 (EDT)
gbell72 <gbell72-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> I'm presently working in windowmaker with no decent graphical mixer
> program. I've attempted to use /dev/mixer but I continuously get a
> permission denied, even after I have su - to root.  Root is a member
> of the sys group is there a reason why root is being denied access to
> this program?  When I do an ls -l  I get crw-rw----    1 root     sys
>      14,   0 Jul 18  1994 /dev/mixer
> Does anyone know how I can fix this?

I get this:

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           11 Sep 26 10:45 /dev/mixer ->

which look like even more restrictive perms (what the heck is the "c"?)
and I'm able to use wmsmixer to control the sound. It's a pretty cool
dockapp available from here:

http://www.bensinclair.com/dockapp/showcat.php3?type=Audio

In the end you could just chmod and chgrp, if necessary, no?

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046