Screenshots, legal/illegal?

Marcel (Free Thinker at Large) Gagne mggagne-oUREY1nl/XXQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 26 21:36:47 UTC 2003

Hello Fraser,

On September 26, 2003 04:57 pm, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> I'm considering setting up a website that will (hopefully) have a lot of
> screenshots from popular programs such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla,
> kmail, etc.

As a guy who has used hundreds (thousands) of screenshots in articles,
tutorials, and books, perhaps I might help.  There is no law stopping you
from writing about software or explaining how things work.  In doing so, it
is considered natural and right that you should be able to include
screenshots.  The real concern is whether you are using those screenshots to
damage a company's reputation or displaying private or confidential
information.  Pretty much anything else is fair game.  A screenshot of an
email package in action is fine (unless you are showing off private mail from
somebody who would prefer to remain private).  Use your judgement and you
should be fine.

Given that you are primarily concerned about Microsoft's reaction, you might
want to check out what they have to say about it on this page.  The
information are looking for is about 3/4 of the way down the page.

     http://www.microsoft.com/permission/copyrgt/cop-img.htm

Hope that helps.  Good luck with the website and take care out there.

--
Marcel (Writer and Free Thinker at Large) Gagné
Note:  This massagee wos nat speel or gramer-checkered.
Author : "Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!"
   Also by Marcel : Linux System Administration, A User's Guide
Join the WFTL-LUG : http://www.salmar.com/marcel/wftllugform.html