What to do with dead monitors

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 26 14:46:16 UTC 2003

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Marcus Brubaker wrote:
>> Yup.  The CRT is something like 30% lead by weight on average and an
>> average monitor is 80% CRT by weight...  Beyond that, the lead is
>> still useful if separated, as is the glass...
>
> Unless CRT design has changed since the last time I looked, you don't
> get the lead separate from the glass, because the lead is *in* the
> glass.  It's lead glass -- glass with a high lead-oxide content.

The design hasn't changed. I have a place in Hamilton that comes and picks
up old systems for recycling. They send the monitors out to Noronada in
Quebec to dispose of in the slag at the smelter. according to them,
there's no other safe way of disposing of them. Its the lead and the
phosphors they're concerned about.

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.