What to do with dead monitors

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 26 02:15:38 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 21:02, Keith Mastin wrote:
> > I advise *not* throwing them off a tall building, or at least not from
> > your building.  While the the bang and resulting scatter is cool, the
> > neighbour complaints are ungood, even with a good ground crew.
> > Of course, I'd *never* do such a thing myself.
>
> They're considered toxic.

Yup.  The CRT is something like 30% lead by weight on average and an
average monitor is 80% CRT by weight.  If you do the numbers, that's a
lot of lead in the average 70lb 21" monitor :)  Beyond that, the lead is
still useful if separated, as is the glass.  Hence the desire to recycle
them.

--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>