virus scanner for linux

Marcel (Free Thinker at Large) Gagne mggagne-oUREY1nl/XXQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 26 01:13:42 UTC 2003

Hello Kerry,

On September 25, 2003 05:40 pm, Kerry Panchoo wrote:
> as we all know- windows viruses cant run on linux.. but very often we
> get email and files on our linux machines which may have viruses that we
> dont know about- these files-- viruses and all can be easily transferred
> over the network to a windows machine and well...... if your favourite
> anti-virus scanner does not scan it, then you could say bye bye to lots
> of things.. so my question is- are there any free OSS virus scanners
> that scans files for windows viruses?

I've used John Hardin's E-Mail Sanitizer with very good results.  It's free
software, configurable in terms of how it responds to virus attachments, how
it deals with them, and in its reporting.  It even includes a macro scanner.
It's also very easy to set up.  Here's the link :

     http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html

You'll notice that the Sanitizer uses procmail.  I mention this because you
can add a pretty powerful virus protection in seconds with a simple procmail
"recipe".  Here's one I use on a couple of systems.  Just put the following
lines in your /etc/procmailrc file.

     :0 HB:
     * ^Content-Type:.*(application|audio|multipart)
     * name.*=.*\.(bat|exe|pif|vbs|scr)
     /dev/null

Simply stated, this little bit of code will look for any .bat, .exe., .pif,
.vbs, and .scr attachments and fire them immediately to /dev/null.  Quite
honestly, I figure anything coming in with those attachments qualify
immediately as viruses.  That makes for pretty powerful, not to mention
simple, virus protection.

Hope that helps.  Take care out there.

--
Marcel (Writer and Free Thinker at Large) Gagné
Note:  This massagee wos nat speel or gramer-checkered.
Author : "Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye!"
   Also by Marcel : Linux System Administration, A User's Guide
Join the WFTL-LUG : http://www.salmar.com/marcel/wftllugform.html