laptop with international warranty & support

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 25 14:04:48 UTC 2003

Hi,

At 05:34 PM 24/09/2003 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>Compaq seems very willing to use desktop athlon's in their laptops.

Such a machine would come in handy on those freezing mornings when the car
seems to take forever to warm up:) Seriously, I know the major brands also
make compromises. All the major brands also have models that are typically
sold in the retail channel and for the most part, target consumers and
small business owners. I do not buy or sell consumer models of the brands I
mentioned earlier. The typical warranty on such machines is one year as
opposed to the "corporate" models which are usually three years. Warranties
on laptops are worth real money. Virtually everything but the disk drive
and RAM are proprietary and expensive so I would rather have the peace of
mind of three years of coverage than not.

>Emachines seems to use proper mobile athlon chips on the other hand. Sure
>shows in the battery life.  A friend got an M5310 recently, ad it
>sure is nice.

E-machines has only popped up recently in the retail chain. There is an
after market for IBM, Compaq, HP and parts and service for them are not
difficult to obtain. Who knows what E-machines laptops will be like? If we
can use their desktop machines as a point of reference, they will
essentially be disposable machines.

>Well I have mostly worked with IBM laptops, so I don't have much
>experience with other brands.  I have met some compaq's I didn't like,
>and don't get me started on toshiba and panasonic.

I avoided Toshiba for the longest time because even on their "corporate"
models, they only offered a measly one year warranty while their
competitors were offering three. I think they offer three now but I do not
see them as a compelling choice when I have had good results with IBM, HP,
Compaq. Of the three, IBM stands out for the best web site. If I have a
model number for an IBM machine, I can find out just about everything about
it on the IBM web site. HP's web site leaves much to be desired. As for
Panasonic, I have only ever seen them at trade shows. I have never actually
seen anyone using one. My impression was that they were built like brick
outhouses but horribly overpriced. What is it about Toshiba and Panasonic
you do not like? Anecdotal evidence is often the only thing we have to go
by in this business.

Speaking of service, a friend bought one of the 17" PowerBooks a couple of
months ago. It has a gorgeous display but I hate the keyboard, track pad,
and Apple's dogmatic adherence to its inane policy of how a single mouse
button is less confusing then three. Nonetheless, it is a nice machine. He
was using it when OS X put up an unusual error message the details of which
are not important. He shut the machine down and tried to restart but got
whatever the equivalent of the sad Mac is these days. He took the machine
in to the *authorized* Apple dealer that he bought it from and was told
that it would be eight(!) days before they could even touch it. He was not
happy with that answer so he contacted the owner of the dealership who
moved him up in the queue so that it took "only" two days before the techs
looked at his machine. They called my friend and told him that the service
call could not be covered under warranty because the machine had been
infected by viruses and there was no warranty coverage for those sorts of
things. The conversation went something like this.

My friend: "Which anti virus software are you using?"

Tech: "Norton. We have already formatted the drive and are going to do a
fresh install of OS X to revive your machine."

My friend: "What were the viruses that you found?"

Tech: ... rattled off a bunch of .exe, .pif, and .scr files from the Eudora
attachments folder.

My friend: "Those are Windows viruses! They do not have any effect on OS X!"

Tech: "All I'm telling you is that Norton found viruses that you may not
know about."

My friend: "Why is it that Symantec's web site does not have any viruses
that affect OS X if these viruses that you found supposedly caused this
problem?"

Tech: ... adamant that it was all the "viruses" that was the cause of the
problems with the machine.

Long story short, after doing a fresh install of OS X, predictably, the
machine was no better off. This time, they concluded that the logic board
(motherboard) was defective and had to be replaced but they still would not
concede that the Windows viruses that they found had nothing to do with the
problem. They kept insisting that it was a combination of the viruses and
defective logic board. My friend and I came to the conclusion that the
techs must think that the viruses have some physical form, perhaps as
nanobots, and can eat through silicon and copper:)

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation
3266 Yonge Street, Suite 1419