Fedora vs. RHE

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 24 18:54:28 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 10:57, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:

> No doubt he'll talk about Fedora, the open source fork (?) of RedHat
> Enterprise:

Although Redhat compares Fedora and RH Enterprise at
http://fedora.redhat.com/about/rhel.html I don't think it's a fork of RH
Enterprise.  It's more like a fork (or replacement?) for Redhat X.

Redhat says:

    A global steering committee at Red Hat decided that Red Hat Linux was
    suffering from too many compromises as a retail "product", and that we
    should redirect our efforts at creating a community-based project.

It will be interesting to see what their idea of a community based project is
and how successfull they are at attracting outside help.  Will they get the
support and volume of developers that Debian has?

Anyone know if there will continue to be a product called Redhat (as in RH7,
RH8, RH9)?  Or will there be just RHE and Fedora?  I wouldn't see a point in
continuing to make Redhat releases if they are maintaining Fedora.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                       Debian GNU/Linux