Unusual Quantities of Spam?

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 24 01:48:55 UTC 2003

On Friday 19 September 2003 18:40, Henry Spencer wrote:

> A quick hack for getting this mess under control, if you are running a
> modern sendmail but are not currently running fancier filters...
>
> The line
>
> define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE', `140000')dnl
>
> in the m4 version of your sendmail configuration will produce the line
>
> O MaxMessageSize=140000

Great idea Henry.  I was away on Saturday and came back Sunday morning to find
about 250 additional viruses in my inbox.  In two days I received well over
500 of these.  Since setting my maximum message size to 140000 bytes I've
bounced 439 emails.  In total, over the past 4-5 days I've been the target of
about 140MB of this stuff.

And then there's all those faked bounce messages I am receiving ...

For those running postfix the recipe would be to add "message_size_limit =
140000" to /etc/postfix/main.cf.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux