Is this the new Y2K scam?

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 21 19:36:12 UTC 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 02:27:48PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote
> | From: waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
>
> |   And at work, there are sevral
> | hundred *DESKTOPS* with publicly routable IP addresses.  Why?  What's
> | wrong with RFC1918 addresses for desktop users?
>
> The internet is a community of peers.  Resist the pressure to make it
> a "market" with consumers and a priviledged producer class.
>
> See this sad announcement: <http://fourmilab.ch/speakfree/eol/>

  1) Why do *DESKTOP USERS* need fixed IP addresses *AT THEIR PLACE
OF EMPLOYMENT* ???  What servers/peers do their job descriptions call
for them to run ???

  2) If corporations didn't grab static public IP addresses for their
desktops (and then firewall the daylights out of the gateway) there
might actually be some static IP address left over for ISPs to hand out
to *RESIDENTIAL* users.

> Surely LINUX users understand this.

  The crowd on this list understands.  Unfortunately, most users are
incapable of properly securing their machines.  Consider, for instance,
my router log files.

[root at m450 root]# ll -o -g /var/log/RT314.*
-rw-------    1  1425582 Sep 21 15:32 /var/log/RT314.1
-rw-------    1   116291 Sep 15 00:53 /var/log/RT314.2.gz
-rw-------    1   134637 Sep  8 08:58 /var/log/RT314.3.gz
-rw-------    1   105812 Aug 31 04:02 /var/log/RT314.4.gz

  Right now, I'm in the middle of a thread about how to automate polling
my remote inbox once every hour, so that it doesn't get overflowed by
viruses.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did