userid all-caps makes screen output all-caps.

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Sep 21 03:25:36 UTC 2003

Colin McGregor wrote:
> "Henry Spencer" <henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org> on Saturday, September 20, 2003 9:40
> PM wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Terrence Enger wrote:
>>
>>><aside>Speakng of upper-case only terminals, has anybody
>>>else here programmed using a model 33 teletype?</aside>
>>
>>Unfortunately, yes.
>

> I wouldn't be so negative... The first computer I ever got to use was a DEC
> PDP-8L (loaded with 8K of 12 bit memory...) that was tied to two Model 33
> teletypes. Yes they were loud and slow but for me they do carry a certain
> charm in my books...

At work, we supported a PDP-8i, which also had a M33, as did the Data
General Nova computers we also had.  However, for my own use, I went
with a M35, because after servicing them for a few years, I knew I
didn't want 33.  The 32 & 33 lines were cheap and unreliable.  The 28 &
35 were built like tanks, extremely reliable and a lot easier to fix.
The 32 and 33 had some "bending" adjustments, where you actually had to
bend a part to make an adjustment.  All too often, that part would
break.  Then there was the cast "white metal" base, that would wind up
with stripped threads in mounting holes.  And there were also the
replacement parts that didn't quite fit, requiring a bit of work with a
file, destroying the case hardening in the process...