Need help with crontab

waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 20 23:04:47 UTC 2003

  Yes, I did RTFM.  The latest Windows virus making the rounds is
affecting even this linux user.  I have a 10 megabyte inbox at clss.net
which I use because it allows me full control over blocking.  That box
has already overflowed twice in the past couple of days, thanks to Gibe.F
(or whatever it's called).  I normally use mutt to pull email manually
into my home directory via a script ~/bin/clssmailin which consists of
the lines...

#!/bin/bash
ssh -P -f -L 10110:pop3.clss.net:110 my_user_ID-1sV0mdQTbhc at public.gmane.org sleep 25
/usr/bin/mutt -F /home/waltdnes/.symmutt/clssmuttrc

by putting "push Gqy" into the config file, mutt receives the keystrokes
G - (Get popmail) followed by
q - quit
y - "yes" to the confirmation prompt
setting 10110 as the pop port, and 127.0.0.1 as the pop server are the
only changes required for ssh-tunneling

  Given the approximate 2/3rd of a megabyte per hour I get from my
mailing lists+Gibe.F, I'd like to automate this, so the computer can
pull it without me having to issue the command manually.  I've tried
crontab as follows...

# use /bin/sh to run commands, no matter what /etc/passwd says
SHELL=/bin/sh
# no mail sent
MAILTO=""
#
# run every hour
43 * * * * /misc/home/waltdnes/bin/clssmailin >> /misc/home/waltdnes/out 2>&1

  (*YES* it is /misc/home/waltdnes) Nothing happens, and the out file
gets the message...

sh: line 1: gettext: command not found
No recipients were specified.

  When I run clssmailin manually, it works, although I do get the
"sh: line 1: gettext: command not found" message.  I've tried it with
and without "#!/bin/sh" as the first line.  Any clues on getting this to
work?

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did