userid all-caps makes screen output all-caps.

Ian Goldberg linux-cOjNTMaGA5U at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 20 18:18:20 UTC 2003

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 02:04:04PM -0400, Terrence Enger wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> I am running Slackware 9.0, using bash for command entry.
>
> For funny reasons, I would to have a user id which is named
> with all capital letters.  However makes my screen sessions
> display in all capital letters.  Is there a way to avoid this
> effect on the screen?

Wow.  That's an old holdover from the days where some people had
terminals that could only do capitals.  The login program checks if the
username entered is in all-caps, and if so, sets your terminal settings
to be all caps.

You can clear it by doing "stty -olcuc".  Putting that in the user's
.bash_profile ought to work, I think.

   - Ian