o.s. office

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 19 20:15:15 UTC 2003

Austin wrote:

> I was walking through the new Technology Enhanced Learning Building
> today at  work (YorkU/Seneca), and saw them installing this crazy
> fancy new office  called the o.s. office.  It's got huge painted glass
> windows with open source  slogans painted all over it, mentioning
> Linux as possibly the largest  worldwide community effort ever or
> something, and the value of open source  software, etc. etc.  It looks
> very cool.
>
> I was almost late to teach a class and I didn't have my camera, but
> I'll be  sure to take some pics on Monday and post a link.
>
> This is very surprising, becuase in the two years I've worked there,
> my  exclusive use of linux on my three workstations has been
> unsupported, mocked,  and disregarded.  Also, my hundreds of hours of
> work on distributing  scientific software for linux got zero support
> from the university.
>
> Maybe I can finally convince them to set up a Mandrake mirror.
>
> Austin
> --
>                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
>             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant
>           Department of Chemistry, York University, Toronto
>             MandrakeClub Volunteer (www.mandrakeclub.com)
>                     homepage: www.groundstate.ca

verrry interesting!
Last spring, I taught a cinematography course at Humber, and my efforts
to introduce linux (and windoze) open source to students and faculty was
wildly unsuccessful. A handful of students had heard of linux. They were
incredulus when I described it as featuring a rich GUI, not just CLI. A
few more found the concept of free (non-pirated) community developed
software interesting. Among staff members, only the guy in charge of the
network had heard of linux, but he had never tried it.

David Patrick