questions about / request for help with GRUB

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 19 23:28:16 UTC 2003

Hi Richard,

I have used Redhat 9/GNU and Windows XP as a duel-boot system under both
LILO and Grub, and am currently using Grub.

I personally like Grub because
a) You don't have to re-run it when you change the menu entries, which
solved WinXP problem (see below)
b) It looks alot better and has a nice shell to use when something goes
wrong.

Richard Dice wrote:
> Hello, everyone...
>
> I was hoping someone out there would help me out with some questions
> regarding grub.  I've been using lilo for years for my dual boot system
> (Win98/Linux) but I've recently upgraded my Windows to WinXP and from
> what I understand this mandates grub rather that lilo.  So, I'm looking
> to move things over.

I wouldn't say 'mandates', but everytime I re-ran /sbin/lilo on the MBR
windows would give me crap about corrupted files and wouldn't start
unless I start it through Safe Mode.  Grub fixed that, but I would think
that the solution suggested by Andrej to install LILO onto the /boot or
root partition rather than the MBR should work too, as long as the
cylinder/2GB boundaries are not exeeded (I noticed that it works bad
even with new LBA motherboards).

> I'd like to experiment by first creating a grub floppy -- I figure best
> to make sure things work there first before I target the MBR of my hard
> drive.  Once that works then I'll target the MBR.

I am not sure about a Grub Floppy.

> So, first question:  is there any way to avoid the "grub shell"?  I'd
> like to just specify a file that has all the info in it necessary and
> just go from there.  If this can be done, what should the path&name of
> the file be?  What command line should I invoke grub with to do the job?

I don't know about Debian, but Redhat has a nice /sbin/grub-install
script that configures Grub automatically, and should work in most
circumstances.  It worked for me and detected all the partitions
perfectly.  Even got my custom kernel in the list.

Hope I helped.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>
GnuPGP Key fingerprint =

  "The difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success."
  - Some bad guy from 007