questions about / request for help with GRUB

Andrej Marjan amarjan-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 19 17:43:48 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 01:13:13PM -0400, Richard Dice wrote:
> Hello, everyone...

> I was hoping someone out there would help me out with some questions
> regarding grub.  I've been using lilo for years for my dual boot system
> (Win98/Linux) but I've recently upgraded my Windows to WinXP and from
> what I understand this mandates grub rather that lilo.  So, I'm looking
> to move things over.

No it doesn't. Certainly with win2k you can have lilo clobber the MBR
and it'll boot. With the NT's since 4 at least, you can install lilo to
a primary partition (say hda2, where you have /boot mounted), mark that
partition as active, and your bios will pick it up and boot it without
touching the MBR.

So you would have something like this in lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda2

And then mark /dev/hda2 as active or bootable.