high speed DSL connectivity

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 18 20:45:39 UTC 2003

On Monday 15 September 2003 21:00, Teodor Iliescu wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, James Knott wrote:
> > You're a bit confused.  While IP address from RAS or other dial up
> > access appear dynamic, they don't use dhcp.  Normally, a phone line is
> > assigned it's own IP and whatever computer connects to that line, gets
> > that IP.  If there are multiple lines, there will be mulitple IP
> > addresses, and whichever address you get, depends on what line you
> > connect to.  From the user point of view, the addresses are dynamic (not

I missed the fact that this conversation was about Microsoft's RAS, maybe I'm
confused with another conversation?

> How would a client get a static IP, if when he connects, he gets a
> different line? This is, assuming the client paid for the static IP, and
> the ISP set him up.

Way back when I'd stated that dialup doesn't use DHCP, I was thinking of
dialup in the ISP sense where people dial into a terminal server and get a
ppp connection.  While I've never seen dhcp used for this that might be
because I've only seen Livingston Portmasters, perhaps other terminal servers
do use dhcp.

In the case of a Livingston portmaster you assign the terminal server a range
of IPs and it allocates IPs on a first-come/first-serve basis from the bottom
of the pool.  First 5 lines will get first 5 addresses, if line 4 disconnects
as line 6 is connecting then the 6th line will end up getting the 4th IP.
This assumes no static assignment of IPs which can be done in RADIUS or in a
local users file on the terminal server itself.

> If you say the IPs are statically set on the phone lines, then how would
> the ISP hand out dynamic information to the RAS clients, if say one of
> their DNS servers goes down? Options such as default gateway, primary and
> secondary DNS are scope options set at the DHCP server.

Why would they need DNS to assign you an IP?  Why would they need DHCP to
assign you a DNS server ... those assignments are generally handled within
the ppp protocol.  Then again, if we're talking about Microsoft's RAS server
I could be way off base.

> An article, that relates to this:
> http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=5413
>
> Does anybody else have some input on this?

God help any ISPs that use Microsoft RAS for their dialup solution, glad I've
escaped any such attrocities so far.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                       Debian GNU/Linux