[Fwd: [u-u] SCO event :|]

Mike Kallies mgjk-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 17 22:24:29 UTC 2003

Robert Brockway wrote:
> I believe that no SCO code is contained in the kernel (except that which
> they have previously released under the BSD or GPL licences).  I also

I agree with what you're saying, only the court decision matters, and
not much they've said really has any bite, but the GPL part bugs me a
bit.  I've heard the GPL counterargument to SCO's ability to license
Linux too many times.

If you read section 7 of the GPL like a scum-sucking lawyer (not to
imply that all lawyers are scum sucking)  (I've added some emphasis to
both of these)

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

"7. ...skip... If you cannot *distribute* so as to satisfy
simultaneously your obligations under this License and any other
pertinent obligations, then as a consequence you may not distribute the
Program at all. For example, if a patent license would not permit
royalty-free *redistribution* of the Program by all those who receive
copies directly or indirectly through you, then the only way you could
satisfy both it and this License would be to refrain entirely from
distribution of the Program."

Now if you read some of SCO's tripe:

http://www.sco.com/scosource/description.html

"This new SCO license is a binary, right to *use* SCO Intellectual
Property in a distribution of Linux. It is applies to commercial *uses*
of a Linux operating system that contains a 2.4 or later version of the
kernel, and cures the IP infringement issue for binary *use* only.
Customers who purchase this license are held harmless by SCO for past
infringements, as well as the on-going *use* of the infringing code."

And a little bit more tripe:

"The license does not grant any rights to use SCO IP in source format,
nor does it grant any distribution rights. It is therefore inadequate to
cure infringements for distributors, or any entity that uses, modifies
or distributes Linux source code."

(there's a little bit of FUD in there since source usage and
distribution aren't contested, they may as well add "The license does
not prevent us from having intimate relations with your mother" -- it's
just as true.)

Notice that the GPL specifically avoids usage rights.  I would expect
that if it didn't, any GPL'd code suffering from DeCSS, Frauenhofer,
Unisys or any other patent encumbrument would crumble forcing you to
"refrain entirely from distribution..."

Notice that the SCO babble locks on to usage rights.  It sucks at them
like a parasite.

Of course that depends on SCO pulling some patent-like IP out of their
patent orifice, but I find it interesting that SCO's language is so
usage-centered.

I suppose I'm only saying that the GPL argument only goes as far as
distribution, and that SCO doesn't seem to be attacking that.

I'm not a lawyer of course.

> I think that Darl McBride and other senior people in SCO will be
> investigated for fraud following these events.

I agree here too, investigated... yes.  Prosecuted?  They're pretty slimy.

 From where I sit, they really are knowingly and wantonly commiting
fraud for the sole purpose of personal profit, and at the expense of
their former allies.

-Mike