Recommended Hardware project propoal [was The most recent meeting]

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-ZTO5kqT2PaM at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 16 17:29:45 UTC 2003

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 23:46:45 +0300 (IDDT), "Peter L. Peres"
<plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> said:

> FYI some all-in-one boards from Taiwan come with two cds. One contains
> the
> drivers for the board (incliding linux drivers) and the other contains an
> edition of OpenOffice for Windows (the Linux version does not fit on the
> same cd ?). I'm using it at work. Works great.

Which boards/companies are these?  Sounds like these boards/companies are
linux-friendly and should be remembered when we're asked to give hardware
purchase recommondations.

I'm interested in developing a short list of recommendable systems/parts
for various usage types.  For example:

* budget home or non-profit office general purpose
criteria:  cost (maybe including power consumption), reliability, ease of
setup
applicable product categories: integrated all-in-one type boards, mATX
form factor
recommended configuration:
   case: ...
   power supply: ...
   etc.

Maybe we could collectively come up with a list of systems/parts that we
know are reliable, functional, inexpensive, available locally and that we
know to be fully tested under Linux.  These could go onto a list of
TLUG-endorsed products (maybe on a wiki somewhere) and any useful info
such as new driver releases, tips, reviews, or defects could be posted or
announced on the list.

Personally, I find hardware shopping (i.e. endless googling for reviews
and linux compatibility info, determining locally availability, price
comparisons) big time waster and so I wish we could somehow pool our
experiences.