high speed DSL connectivity

Ralph Doncaster ralph-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 16 03:26:45 UTC 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Alex Maynard wrote:

> sounds like people were saying good things about IStop. Any bad
> experiences with them?

Our biggest problem in the Toronto POP has been Linux related, and our
second biggest problem has been a quirky Cisco catalyst 2924M.  Since this
is a linux list, I'll just elaborate on the Linux issue.

We use Linux/Zebra for BGP core routing.  Getting the right
hardware/software combo that can handle >144kpps (FE line-rate with min
frame size) has not been an easy job at all.  So when your linux router
hits 100% CPU with a modest 50kpps DOS attack bad things start to happen.
 And since we have a large number of customers with static IPs, we seem
to attract more DOS attacks than other ISPs our size.
I did a presentation for the Ottawa Linux users group about it.
http://ns.istop.com/~ralph/linuxrouter/
Since doing the presentation we've finished testing new Linux router boxes
with Intel GigE cards running 2.4.22 and Zebra 0.94.  The performance is
much better; >150kpps routing throughput.  One of the new boxes is
now sitting in the bottom of my rack in 151 Front St, ready to go live
sometime in the next week or so.

-Ralph