Acer Notebook

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 15 17:51:08 UTC 2003

At 09:47 AM 14/09/2003, Jay wrote:
>I am thinking about buying an Acer Notebook (Aspire 1304XC) for my
>wife.  I don't know if I will install Linux right away, but I want to have
>the option available.  That brings me to two questions:
>1) Does anyone have warnings, experience, input or opinions about this
>model or Acer notebooks in general?
>2) Does anyone have experience or input on Linux on Acer notebooks?
>Looking to get it this week unless I get some reasons not to.

Hi,

If you are buying this from a place where you can actually see and touch
the computer, take along a Knoppix CD and see how it works. Knoppix is very
good at autodetecting hardware so it should give you an idea of how viable
that machine is for running Linux. Potential trouble spots are Winmodems
and some soft NICs but those can be addressed by installing a supported PC
Card NIC and modem.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation